Elon Musk’s Twitter Rant and the Impermanence of Social Media
• Elon Musk’s recent Twitter meltdown has caused quite a stir.
• He has been criticized for belittling individual users and spreading misinformation.
• However, the impermanence of social media means that Musk’s behavior isn’t necessarily a long-term problem.
The Ephemeral Nature of Social Media
• Social media platforms come and go, and their popularity is often fleeting.
• Even once-popular platforms like MySpace and Friendster are now obsolete.
• This impermanence means that even if Musk continues to degrade Twitter, the platform itself may not be around forever.
Our Personal Experience
• The author shares that their time on a 2000s illness blog taught them the same lesson.
• The blog was once a vibrant community, but the rise of Facebook and other social media platforms led to its decline and eventual demise.
• This experience taught the author that social media platforms are not built to last.
While Elon Musk’s recent behavior on Twitter may be troubling, the impermanence of social media means that it may not be a long-term problem. Social media platforms are constantly evolving and new platforms are always emerging, meaning that even if one platform falls, another will likely take its place. Our personal experiences can also attest to this: platforms that were once popular can quickly become obsolete. So while Musk’s rants may be frustrating in the moment, we can take comfort in the fact that social media is transient and ever-changing.Original Article: https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-leave-a-platform-musk-twitter-carepages/