Personal Information Leaked on Telegram
- Personal information, including ID documents and phone numbers, have been released on Telegram.
Why Did it Happen?
- The leak happened due to a vulnerability in the “People Nearby” feature, which allows users to see the location of other nearby Telegram users.
- The vulnerability allows hackers to access user data by creating a fake account and using it to collect information from unsuspecting users.
What Can You Do?
- If you are a Telegram user:
- Make sure you have enabled two-factor authentication on your account.
- Avoid sharing personal information, such as your phone number or ID documents, with other users.
- Be cautious when using the “People Nearby” feature and only share your location with trusted contacts.
- If you are not a Telegram user:
- Consider whether you want to use the platform and weigh the potential risks.
- If you do use Telegram, follow the tips above to protect your personal information.
Telegram, a popular messaging app, has been hit by a data leak that exposed personal information such as ID documents and phone numbers. The vulnerability was found in the app’s “People Nearby” feature, allowing hackers to access user data by creating a fake account and using it to collect information from unsuspecting users. Telegram users are advised to enable two-factor authentication, avoid sharing personal information, and be cautious when using the “People Nearby” feature. Non-users are urged to consider the risks before using the platform and to follow the same tips to protect their personal information.Original Article: https://www.wired.com/story/a-massive-vaccine-database-leak-exposes-ids-of-millions-of-indians/